Leverage S1.E13 The Second David Job:
As I have been saying all season, Leverage was truly the most surprising and best new show of the 2008-2009 television series. It is just amazing how quickly things change. Before the season began I wasn’t even planning on watching Leverage in the first place. I have to thank TNT for sending The TV Legion a screener since I probably wouldn’t have even watched the show otherwise. It is just amazing how a show I wasn’t even originally going to watch has already become one of the best shows on television. Since this was the season finale, after the break I will look back at the episode and also some ideas on what I would like to see in the second season of Leverage.
Just like every other episode this season, last night’s season finale was a great end to a surprising first season. While I think the ending could have provided more of a cliffhanger (I understand the decision though since there was no guarentee of a second season), you really couldn’t complain about the case. The episode was another well rounded Leverage case with it’s share of laughs and a well thought out case. The episode definently had it’s moments including:
- How all the gang decides to rob the bank in their own way. It’s even funnier that Nate knew they would all be at the museum that day.
- It was funny how Eliot had no trouble getting Maggie to go out with him while Nate had so many troubles. Then at the date Maggie pretty much trashed Nate throughout the whole “date” since she knew he was listening in on their conversation. While I can’t ever see Maggie as a regular character, I could see her becomming a recurring character that could help the team with a case or two next season.
- I thought it was cruel but also hilarious that the Leverage gang made the poor scientist feel like he was cursed and was going to die.
Leverage will be back this summer but since that seems like forever, here is a list of things I would like to see next season:
- Since the first season was mostly backstory on Nate, I would like more background on the rest of the characters next season. I personally would like to see more of the gang’s criminal past. Obviously the rest of the gang must have pretty interesting pasts since most of them are wanted in several countries. I actually think this could work well since it seems like Nate had run into all of them in the past because he knew quite a bit about all of them before working with them in the first case. If Nate did indeed encounter all of them in the past, I think it would be unique to show some of their backstories through Nate trying to track them down in the past.
- I would like to see more complex heists next season. This season had great heists but I think the show could take the heists to the next level in season two. I obviously don’t want the cases to get too complex but I would like to see at least as many clever plans as there were in the first season.
- Hopefully the relationships develop more next season. The gang already is like a family. Personally I think the show should pursue the Nate/Sophie and Hardison/Parker relationships more next season.
- I would like to see at least one multi-episode case like this year’s season finale. Hopefully the Leverage writers can develop another case worthy of two episodes.
- The show either needs to keep Sterling or add a new character that will occasionally get in the way of their plans. I think it brings in a unique dynamic having someone actively trying to bring down the group. Otherwise I find it a little unrealistic that the Leverage team could just rip off a bunch of rich people without anyone going after them.
With that I congratulate Leverage on a great first season. Now all we have to do is wait several months before new episodes arrive this summer.
Your Take: What did you think of the season finale? What would you like to see Leverage continue, add, or eliminate for season two?
Photo Credit: © 2009 Turner Broadcasting System, Inc