Show Name: True Beauty
When and Where Does It Air?: Mondays at 10/9c on ABC (premieres January 5, 2009)
What’s It About?: Six gorgeous females and four handsome males live together and compete in a series of challenges. They think they are being judged just on their looks but in reality, their inner beauty is what really counts. They will take part in two challenges each week, one judging outer beauty (photo shoots, etc.) and one for inner beauty (respecting elders). After the week’s challenges, three judges will convene and eliminate a player until only one remains.
Who’s In It?:
- Vanessa Minnillo (“The Break”) as Host/Judge
- Cheryl Tiegs as Judge
- Nol Marin as Judge
Who’s Behind It?:
- Ashton Kutcher (“Beauty and the Geek,” “Miss/Guided”)-Executive Producer
- Tyra Banks (“America’s Next Top Model”)-Executive Producer
- Jason Goldberg (“Beauty and the Geek,” “Opportunity Knocks”)-Executive Producer
- Karey Burke (“Game Show In My Head,” “Miss/Guided”)-Executive Producer
- Rod Aissa (“Dancelife”)-Executive Producer
- Denise Cramsey-Executive Producer
- Laura Armstrong-Executive Producer
Why Should I Watch It?:
- Both Ashton Kutcher and Tyra Banks have a lot of experience in the reality genre and have launched several hits. I’m not sure if their first project together will be a huge hit but their track records are pretty good.
Why Should I Skip It?:
- From the clips and promos I’ve seen, there really aren’t any likable contestants. Sure it is nice to have one or two villains in a cast but I don’t think having nearly everyone as a villain is a good idea.
- Has ABC not learned from “Are You Hot” that programs judging beauty generally don’t work.
Conclusion: ABC generally makes fun reality shows so I’ll probably tune in for at least one episode. However, I don’t expect it to be great or a ratings success.